Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Luxury logs seized in Mondulkiri province

Luxury logs seized in Mondulkiri province

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Mondulkiri provincial Military Police seized 30 logs in Pech Chreada district’s Bou Sra commune on Saturday and Sunday. Photo supplied

Luxury logs seized in Mondulkiri province

A total of 30 logs harvested from high-quality wood were seized by Mondulkiri provincial Military Police and National Military Police on Saturday and Sunday.

Provincial Military Police investigation department head Phok Chanthy told The Post on Monday that the logs were found in Pech Chreada district’s Bou Sra commune, 10km from the Vietnamese border, during a two-day forestry crime raid in the area.

“Our Military Police found 30 logs in the two-day crackdown. Each log has a diameter of between 20cm and 30cm, and they are 2.8m to 3m in length. The logs were classified as sokram, lambor, and sralao wood,” Chanthy said, adding that they were hidden in the forest near a stream.

“The authorities have tried to ascertain the owner’s identity, but no one has come forward. The logs are now being kept at the Sen Monorom Forestry Administration office where they will be processed,” Chanthy said.

Sok Saruon, head of the Sen Monorom Forestry Administration, confirmed to The Post that it had received the 30 luxury logs of wood from military police and were currently searching for their owner.

Nheunh Thanh, a villager from Bou Sra commune’s Pu Til village, said local villagers had collaborated with those from elsewhere to illegally cut down the forest and sell the logs in Vietnam.

“I and other elders in Pu Til village tried to protect the forest by prohibiting others from felling it, but they did not listen to us and illegally cut down the trees to sell in Vietnam."

“We reported this to police and asked the police to investigate,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.

  • H5N1 also poses deadly threat, ministry warns

    The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control (CDC) department has called on citizens to excise caution over H5N1 or bird flu that is spreading in the southern province of Vietnam. In a Facebook post, the department announced that it has made a series

  • Malaysia in turmoil

    Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has done it again. At the centre of two days of high drama and political manoeuvring, he has, wittingly or not, contributed to shaking Malaysia, and further causing its equities market to fall nearly three per cent. The drama