Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysia, Cambodia sign new agreement to protect maids



Malaysia, Cambodia sign new agreement to protect maids

Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng waits for his flight to Malaysia at Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday.
Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng waits for his flight to Malaysia at Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday. Facebook

Malaysia, Cambodia sign new agreement to protect maids

Cambodian maids who work in Malaysia would be given smartphones, bank accounts and counselling under a new agreement signed by the two countries yesterday, an association representative said – measures intended to prevent the kind of widespread abuses that resulted in a ban on sending domestic workers to Malaysia six years ago.

But the news, announced in Malaysian media yesterday, came as a surprise to labour rights groups in both countries who said they had not been consulted on the long-awaited MoU, which still has yet to be made public.

Cambodia made no announcement about the signing ceremony in Kuala Lumpur, attended by Minsiter of Labour Ith Sam Heng, the ministry’s Director-General Seng Sakada and Malaysian Association of Foreign Maid Agencies President Jeffrey Foo. Neither Sakada nor Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour returned multiple requests for comment yesterday.

Foo, reached yesterday, said the agreement creates a raft of protections for Cambodian domestic workers, who are needed to fill a shortage of maids in Malaysia.

Among other things, the association will provide each worker with a free smartphone, monitor their salary payments and make employment agencies sign contracts laying out the duties and responsibilities of maids.

“We have to work very hard to train and convince the people in Cambodia that Malaysia is a good place to work,” Foo said. “We will have to treat this very carefully and make sure the interests of all the parties are protected.”

Foo declined to provide a copy of the MoU, stating that it is not public.

Cambodia banned the sending of maids to Malaysia in 2011 after workers reported widespread abuse, including overwork, salary disputes and even physical and sexual assault. The two countries agreed to reopen the pipeline in 2015, but the rollout was marred by procedural confusion.

Labour rights groups expressed frustration yesterday that they were not included in the process of developing the MoU between the association and Ministry of Labour, or the one in 2015 that unofficially lifted the ban.

Keo Poeurn, coordinator of the labour group Informal Democratic Economy Association, said he has not seen the agreement but hoped it requires regular inspections of working conditions and time off for workers.

“If they don’t give protections like that, I don’t think maids working in Malaysia are safe,” Poeurn said.

Adrian Pereira, executive director of Malaysian human rights group North-South Initiative, questioned whether the agreement would be enforced.“[The Malaysian Association of Foreign Maid Agencies] needs to ask itself how many of its own members have gone through the guidelines,” Pereira said.

Representatives at anti-trafficking NGO Chab Dai and human rights group Adhoc said they were also unaware of the new agreement.

It is not clear how many agencies, if any, are currently sending maids to Malaysia.

A representative from Phnom Penh-based recruiting firm Elite Manpower Agency, who declined to give his name, said the company has not seen the new MoU with Malaysia.

“Our agency has started to advertise for recruitment and preparing training, but we’re looking to see the new prakas from the Ministry of Labour to be able to set the timeline to send the maids,” she said.

Foo said the association hopes to bring in up to 20,000 maids a year, starting with a small batch at the beginning of next year.

Updated: Friday 1 December, 6:53am

This article previously stated that the Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Cambodian and Malaysian governments. It was actually signed between the Cambodian Ministry of Labour and the Malaysian Association of Foreign Maid Agencies, which is not affiliated with the Malaysian government. The Post apologises for any confusion caused.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting