Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysian side lagging on MoU

Malaysian side lagging on MoU

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng speaks at the signing ceremony of the Memorandum of Agreement on protection of Cambodia workers in Malaysia. Facebook

Malaysian side lagging on MoU

A memorandum of understanding meant to beef up protections for Cambodian maids in Malaysia is still on hold after Malaysia’s human resources minister said he was not aware of the agreement, according to Malaysian media.

The MoU was signed by Cambodia’s Ministry of Labour and the Malaysian Association of Foreign Maid Agencies last week and includes promises to better safeguard Cambodian domestic workers by, among other things, providing them with smartphones and health insurance.

According to Malaysian newspaper the Sun Daily, the association is now putting the agreement on hold until it gets an official green light from the government after Human Resources Minister Richard Riot Jaem said he was not aware of the agreement. Malaysian Association of Foreign Maid Agencies President Jeffrey Foo did not respond to multiple requests for comment yesterday.

Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour – who attended last week’s signing ceremony in Kuala Lumpur along with Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng – declined to comment on what he called “other countries’ internal matter”. Malaysia’s Ministry of Human Resource could not be reached yesterday.

Adrian Pereira, executive director of Malaysian labour rights group North-South Initiative, said MoUs do little to protect workers because they are not legally binding. “What Malaysia should have is a comprehensive law for domestic workers that can protect all workers, and not just from particular countries,” he said.

The MoU still has not been made public.

On Bunhak, of recruiting firm Top Manpower Co Ltd, said he remains hopeful the Malaysian government will support the agreement. Bunhak, who also attended the signing ceremony, said his agency plans to start sending maids in March.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a