Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man accused of selling girls

Man accused of selling girls

Man accused of selling girls

PHNOM Penh Municipal Court has ordered a South African man to serve pretrial detention after charging him with selling two Vietnamese women to a brothel in Thailand after promising them South African visas, a police official said yesterday.

Blaka Mogamata Tape, 61, was arrested on Saturday in Daun Penh district after the mother of the two girls, aged 28 and 24, said they had called her from a brothel in Bangkok where they were being held against their will. In a complaint to police, the mother accused Tape of selling them to the brothel.

Phnom Penh deputy police chief Sok Khemarin said Tape had been charged with unlawful removal for cross-border transfer, a crime that carries a prison term of between seven and 15 years.

Yesterday, Preah Sihanouk provincial court heard the case against a Frenchman charged with unlawful removal with purpose and unlawful recruitment for exploitation in connection with the alleged abuse of two underage boys in Sihanoukville in 2008.

Roger Michel Blanchard, 44, was first arrested in August 2008 on suspicion of abusing five Cambodian boys aged 11 to 16 in Sihanoukville. The provincial court sentenced him to one year in prison after finding him guilty of abusing one of the boys, and the Appeal Court in February lengthened that sentence to one year and seven months.

He was released earlier this year, and is serving pretrial detention in connection with the ongoing case.

Peng Maneth, a lawyer provided to the victims by child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants, said Blanchard pleaded not guilty to the charges against him, both of which carry sentences of between seven and 15 years. A verdict is expected October 4.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from