Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man allegedly hacks son to death for asking for $25

Man allegedly hacks son to death for asking for $25

Man allegedly hacks son to death for asking for $25

A man was arrested in Tbong Khmum’s Memot district yesterday and accused of killing his own son and dumping his body in a well after being asked for money to attend today’s Water Festival in Phnom Penh.

The suspect, Moeun Som, 42, allegedly murdered his son, Moeun Kle, 22, on Monday, according to district police chief Peng Henghak. Henghak said the two men were drinking rice wine together when the fateful request for $25 was made.

After saying no, Som allegedly axed Kle nine times and dragged his body to a well only three metres from the scene.

He returned home as if nothing happened, Henghak said, but neighbours noticed bloodstains on the ground and reported it to local authorities. Henghak did not say if Som had been charged yet.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not