Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man badly injured in Pailin landmine blast



Man badly injured in Pailin landmine blast

A man is put on a stretcher yesterday morning after he stepped on a landmine in Pailin province. National Police
A man is put on a stretcher yesterday morning after he stepped on a landmine in Pailin province. National Police

Man badly injured in Pailin landmine blast

An intoxicated man stepped on a landmine in Pailin province early yesterday morning, injuring both of his arms and one leg, according to local police.

Chhor Manh, Boyakha commune police chief, said yesterday that the victim, Nor Sarom, 44, was drunk when the incident occurred at about 1am. Sarom got lost on his way home, unwittingly entering a well-known landmine-ridden area near his farm.

“He was drunk and walked into the landmine area”, Manh said. “His arms are extremely injured and his leg has a minor injury,” he added. After the explosion, Sarom was able to walk to the local police station.

He was then transferred to a hospital in Battambang, where he remains. Manh said Sarom will likely never use his right hand again.

Manh said there were signs on the trees warning people not to enter the contaminated area, but the man did not see them.

“There are two cases of landmine explosions in this commune this year and two people got injured”, Manh said.

Heng Ratana, director-general of Cambodia Mine Action Centre (CMAC), said that as of July, 60 people had been killed or injured by landmines in Cambodia during 2016.

CMAC estimates that there were about 4 to 6 million landmines laid in Cambodia over the span of decades of war lasting from 1970 to 1997.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year