Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man charged in murder of Australian

Man charged in murder of Australian

Man charged in murder of Australian

ACONSTRUCTION worker has been charged with the murder of an Australian man who was beaten to death in Sihanoukville in December, officials said Wednesday.

John Edward Thompson, 47, was ambushed in Sihanoukville’s Commune 3 at around 1am on December 27 by a group of men who savagely assaulted him with acacia branches and left him to die at the scene.

Bou Bunhang, chief prosecutor at Preah Sihanouk provincial court, said Wednesday that the construction worker, 20-year-old In Toma, had been charged with murder and robbery, and that he was being held in pretrial detention.

Provincial police Chief Tak Vantha said In Toma was arrested on Monday in Kampot province’s Teuk Chhou district, and that police had received arrest warrants for two other suspects.

He said police were initially unsure whether the attack had been motivated by money or a desire for revenge, as the victim reportedly had less than US$2 in his pocket when he was killed.

“After the killing, we created a special committee and launched a murder investigation to determine whether the killing was related to revenge or robbery,” he said. “After six months of investigation, our efforts led us to identify the suspects and arrest one of the three killers to be brought in for prosecution.”

He said In Toma had confessed to police that he and two others robbed and killed Thompson in December.

“They had been drinking alcohol and saw the victim was walking alone carrying a backpack, and they expected that they would rob lots of money from him,” Tak Vantha said. “But unluckily, the foreigner was a poor man and had only 6,700 riels in his pocket.”

He added that police have leads on the other two suspects, both of whom are also construction workers.

Bou Bunhang said In Toma’s trial date would be set after an investigation into the case was concluded. “We cannot give a timeline of the trial, as further investigations will take at least four months,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • US to ramp up sanctions after ‘flawed’ national polls

    At a press conference on Wednesday, the US State Department announced that it would expand visa sanctions on the Cambodian officials and individuals it deems responsible for “undermining democracy” in Cambodia. At the briefing, spokesperson Heather Nauert reiterated that the department regarded the July 29 elections

  • Final poll results confirm first single-party Assembly

    IN an unprecedented situation in Cambodian politics, the official results of the July 29 national elections have declared that the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) will take all 125 seats in the National Assembly on the back of it receiving 76 per cent of the votes. The National

  • PM's Bodyguard commander hits back at US

    The commander of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Bodyguard Unit (BGU) Hing Bun Heang on Sunday dismissed a short video clip that went viral on social media in which he says he is preparing for a war with the United States over its aggressiveness towards

  • Chinese influence to sweep Kingdom?

    Growing Cambodia-China ties have seen the latter’s influence sweep across the Kingdom through increased investments and tourism. The Asian giant has become the leading source of foreign funds in Cambodia, fuelling the construction sector with huge casino and hotel projects. Much of the growth