Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man decapitated in canister explosion



Man decapitated in canister explosion

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man was decapitated on Saturday when an oxygen canister he was unloading from a lorry exploded in Preah Sihanouk province. Photo supplied

Man decapitated in canister explosion

A man was decapitated on Saturday when an oxygen canister he was unloading from a lorry exploded at a hospital in Preah Sihanouk province’s Tomnup Roloak commune in Stung Hav district.

Commune police chief Bo Nam on Sunday said the deceased hailed from Kampot province and had been residing in Tomnup Roloak commune.

The 39-year-old and another man had been delivering 50kg tanks of oxygen on Saturday. A canister was dropped while being unloaded and exploded as the victim brought it close to his body to prevent it hitting the ground heavily, Nam said.

The man’s head was found around 100m from his body, which had been thrown 10m from where the canister exploded.

The other man did not sustain injuries in the incident, Nam added.

“I spoke to a specialist regarding the case, who said there had been no instances of such canisters exploding before and they were not considered dangerous. If there was a risk of them exploding, they would not be used in hospitals,” Nam said.

Nam said the deceased’s family had travelled down from Kampot province, with his mother requesting he be cremated at Tomnup Roloak commune’s Por Meanchey pagoda. His ashes were to be taken home for the funeral, he said.

The owner of the oxygen canister facility had contributed to funeral costs by way of compensation, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said