Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man dies in illegally dug gold mine



Man dies in illegally dug gold mine

Man dies in illegally dug gold mine

A 31-year-old man was killed on Monday when part of an illegally dug gold mine collapsed in Battambang’s Phnom Proek district, commune officials said yesterday.

Bon Boern, 31, died at the scene, while Ath Kri, 21, was treated at the provincial hospital for a head injury, Phnom Proek commune police chief Phat San told the Post yesterday.

“The land collapsed on [Boern], who was in five metres deep,” San said, adding that the three men were digging independently and were not affiliated with any legal mining companies.

The third individual involved in the operation reported the incident to authorities, San said, adding that all three had been mining the area illegally.

Cher Cheang, provincial director of Battambang’s mines and energy department, said yesterday that the type of mining the three men had been doing was risky but common.

“Most of the families in Battambang [mine illegally]. They do not have any [technical] training,” Cheang said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the