Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man killed by makeshift ‘bomb’

Man killed by makeshift ‘bomb’

Man killed by makeshift ‘bomb’

A man died in Kampong Cham province on Sunday after a large battery he had allegedly been trying to steal in neighbouring Tbong Khmum province exploded, according to police, who said that they were pursuing murder charges because they believed the battery had been purposefully rigged to maim or kill would-be thieves.

The incident occurred at the Sre Siem quarry on Saturday, with the man later dying in a Kampong Cham hospital. Tbong Khmum district police chief Moeng Raiya said the victim, Korn Chanty, 24, tried to steal the battery of a stone-grinding machine from the quarry in Chirou II commune.

The battery was rigged with blasting powder normally used to blast apart rock, and blew off one of his legs when it exploded. Raiya said workers told them somebody at the company had become frustrated with frequent thefts, and in response tried to intentionally harm the perpetrator.

“Though the suspect, before his death, admitted that he had already stolen batteries in this quarry twice, police still regard the case as an intentional murder due to the claims of some workers that the battery was rigged with explosives in order to harm the thief,” Raiya said.

Chirou II commune police chief Yorng Somet said two other workers had also been interrogated after saying the company altered the battery. “Police are investigating this case,” he said.

Police officials declined to disclose the name of the company or to specify who exactly in the company the workers accused of creating the makeshift bomb.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Funcinpec ‘set to sell their headquarters’, says source

    An anonymous source from Funcinpec said acting president Prince Norodom Chakravuth had held a meeting with other officials to discuss selling several of the party headquarters across the country while the party president Prince Norodom Ranariddh receives medical treatment at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital