Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man loses both legs in latest Phnom Penh train accident



Man loses both legs in latest Phnom Penh train accident

Man loses both legs in latest Phnom Penh train accident

A 33-year-old villager in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district lost both of his legs after being struck by a train on Tuesday night, police said yesterday.

Taing Sok Heng, Proteah Lang commune deputy police chief, identified the victim as Keo Piseth.

Piseth, who is a village security guard, had been drinking in the afternoon, and began his night patrol at around 9pm, Sok Heng said.

After his patrol, he was talking to a fellow guard on a walkie-talkie when he abruptly stopped responding.

“Twenty minutes later, police received a report,” Sok Heng said, adding the victim had fallen unconscious on the tracks, and lost both of his legs when he was run over by the train.

John Guiry, chief executive officer for Royal Railways, yesterday said his company had not heard about the case yet.

He said his company has been conducting a lot of education campaigns, including sending a few staff late last week from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, making several stops along the way, to educate people about the dangers of walking along the tracks.

The company has also been providing safety education in some schools and will soon start airing three public service announcements that it paid $30,000 for.

“It’s frustrating,” he said of train accidents. “It’s not something we want. That’s why we have all these safety campaigns. We are trying out anything we possibly can to get the message out.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • PM dispels lockdown rumours, gifts masks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on November 12 denied rumours that he will lock down the country in response to increased Covid-19 fears, referring to them as propaganda aimed at destabilising the country. In a Facebook post, he said some people had spread rumours that the government

  • SilkAir adds flight to Phnom Penh schedule

    Silkair (Singapore) Pte Ltd is increasing its flight frequency between Phnom Penh and Singapore with a third weekly flight on Saturdays, according to Cambodia Airports’ Facebook page. The other flights offered are on Tuesdays and Sundays, with an estimated Phnom Penh arrival time at 5:35pm