Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man sentenced for Angkor comments seeks pardon

Man sentenced for Angkor comments seeks pardon

Man sentenced for Angkor comments seeks pardon

121031_03b

Moeung Sonn (R) speaks during a press conference in Phnom Penh in 2008. Photograph: Heng Chivoan/Phnom Penh Post

Moeung Sonn (R) speaks during a press conference in Phnom Penh in 2008. Photograph: Heng Chivoan/Phnom Penh Post

Moeung Sonn, president of the Khmer Civilisation Fund, wants to get back to Cambodia. But for now, at least, he’ll have to settle for close to Cambodia.

Sonn, who was convicted in 2009 of disseminating false information when he protested about a lighting project at Angkor Wat, occasionally rents a room near Cambodia’s border with Thailand, where he fled to avoid prison.

That close to home, Sonn can make local calls with his old mobile phone, and sometimes friends cross the border for little reunions.

It’s the closest the 65-year-old can get, although he hopes that is about to change.

In the wake of King Father Norodom Sihanouk’s death, Sonn has requested leniency on his two-year sentence, which judges handed down with a $3,750 fine after he claimed that installing lights at the temple would result in drilling and damage.

The government dismissed the allegation, as did the Apsara Authority.

In May, 2011, the appeal court reduced Sonn’s fine and changed the charge to incitement.

“I’m afraid I won’t go back to Cambodia if there isn’t an amnesty from King Sihamoni or Prime Minister Hun Sen,” he said, having sent letters to both men. Authorities, he said, “will toss me in jail”.

Asked if Sonn would be allowed to return, Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said the judiciary was an independent body that made independent decisions.

“The government has a chance to overrule the court’s decision? I don’t think so.

“He misinformed people, he accused the government of destroying Angkor Wat,” Siphan said, adding that experts had debunked Sonn’s claims that the temple, Cambodia’s main tourist draw, would be harmed.

In an act that is becoming more common since Sihanouk’s death on October 15, Sonn also called for the release of political prisoners.

He asked that, among others, independent radio station owner Mam Sonando, who was sentenced to 20 years earlier this month for his involvement in a so-called secessionist plot, be released.

Lao Mong Hay, an independent analyst, said pardons normally happened during large national ceremonies, but in this case the requestors were guilty of insensitivity.

“We have to consider a suitable time, because now we are mourning the King Father.”

Sonn believes there may be a shift in the political winds after the 2013 national elections. He said he was getting older and wanted to enjoy the golden years at home.

“That’s why I have to come back: to retire in my homeland,” he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]
Joe Freeman at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on