Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man sentenced over child porn

Man sentenced over child porn

Man sentenced over child porn

Japanese tourist sentenced to six years in jail after being found guilty of having minors in Preah Sihanouk province pose for him in nude photos

PREAH Sihanouk provincial court on Thursday sentenced a Japanese man to six years in prison for having boys aged between 7 and 14 pose for him in pornographic photos.

Judge Kim Eng also ordered the accused to pay 500,000 riels (US$119) in compensation to each boy and told him he would be expelled from Cambodia once his prison sentence was served.

Shunichi Nakagawa, 33, was arrested in August last year when police caught him photographing young boys at O'Tres beach, said Chor Heng, Preah Sihanouk deputy police commissioner.

Peng Maneth, a lawyer provided by the child rights group Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE), said the group would appeal the sentence to demand greater compensation for the boys.

"We are going to appeal the sentence to try to get more compensation, as the man has been convicted on similar charges and served two-and-a-half years already in Japan," she said.

"The compensation is very small and does nothing to repair the victims' reputations that have been damaged when their naked bodies were exploited," she added.

New law a success: NGO
Samleang Seila, country director for APLE, said he welcomed the conviction, which he said he believed was the first under a law against child pornography that was introduced in 2007.

Defence lawyer Chan Vannak said his client had one month to consider whether or not to appeal the sentence.

Be Sivanna, director of the Ministry of Interior's Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department in Sihanoukville, said Nakagawa had paid the boys between $2 and $5 each to pose naked, adding that Nakagawa had entered Cambodia as a tourist on August 6.

Chor Heng said Nakagawa had first photographed the boys in August and arranged to meet them again the following day, by which time local authorities had been tipped off by area residents who had witnessed Nakagawa snapping pictures of the children.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked