Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man wanted for firing gun to frighten officials

Man wanted for firing gun to frighten officials

The excavation site where provincial authorities say a Kandal businessman tried to intimidate officials inspecting his operation. Fresh News
The excavation site where provincial authorities say a Kandal businessman tried to intimidate officials inspecting his operation. Fresh News

Man wanted for firing gun to frighten officials

Provincial authorities are looking for a man who they say tried to scare officials inspecting his land in Kandal province by shooting into the ground.

Sa’ang District Police Chief Seng Socheat said no one was injured, but that National Police Chief Neth Savoeun had asked authorities to bring the man in to see if he had a gun licence. Police found 20 bullet casings at the scene that Socheat said appeared to belong to a hunting rifle. “When the authorities arrived, we didn’t see the man,” Socheat said. “He was not at the scene.”

Yos Monirath, spokesman of the Ministry of Mines and Energy, said the man had permission to excavate soil used for backfill at the site but that he dug farther than permitted. Shortly after officials from the ministry visited him and asked him to stop, the man opened fire, according to Monirath.

“His identity is not clear,” Monirath said. “The permit for the digging site is under his wife.”

Monirath said it appeared the man was trying to intimidate the officials to prevent them from inspecting the site in Sa’ang district’s Svay Ralum commune.

Deputy Provincial Police Chief Eurn Nara declined to comment, citing the ongoing nature of the investigation.

Phnom Penh municipal authorities are trying to enforce a longstanding ban on soil-digging operations in the capital, but they are still legal in Kandal and Kampong Speu provinces.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four