Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man who allegedly threatened PM charged

Man who allegedly threatened PM charged

Kampong Thom resident Man Sam Orn, who allegedly issued a death threat against Prime Minister Hun Sen on Facebook, is escorted by police at Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Friday.
Kampong Thom resident Man Sam Orn, who allegedly issued a death threat against Prime Minister Hun Sen on Facebook, is escorted by police at Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Friday. Heng Chivoan

Man who allegedly threatened PM charged

A 28-year-old man arrested on Friday for allegedly threatening and insulting Prime Minister Hun Sen saw his case transferred from Phnom Penh to the Kampong Thom Provincial Court, a provincial prison official said yesterday.

Thean Chhorvoan, director of Kompong Thom Provincial Prison, confirmed that Man Sam Orn, a native of Kampong Thom’s Stung Sen town, had been transferred into his custody after being charged at the court there.

“He was charged yesterday with death threats and insults by the provincial investigating judge and sent to the prison yesterday . . . Now he is in the provincial prison,” Chhorvoan said.

According to a screenshot circulated on social media, an account allegedly linked to Sam Orn posted in the comments section of a post by the premier that “7 January is the date of your death” and that the premier’s “eye was blind because of stealing guava to eat”.

Hun Sen in recent months has become a prolific user of Facebook, but has also warned users that those who insult him personally could face arrest.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials