Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Marchers to flout ban on protests



Marchers to flout ban on protests

Marchers to flout ban on protests

Hundreds of civil society representatives, garment workers and community groups are expected to take to the streets this morning to deliver petitions to foreign embassies calling on the government to release the 23 people arrested during garment worker strikes earlier this month and find justice for those injured and killed in the violence.

While organisers insist their actions do not constitute a march, the three-day event involving 19 embassies comes two days after the government’s ban on public assembly and demonstrations was tested by a significantly smaller event, with riot police disrupting a vigil for the 23 in custody and making one arrest near the Royal Palace on Sunday.

A military police spokesman yesterday said the group would be “dispersed” if it caused traffic jams or disrupted social order.

Petitions signed by 181 local and regional civil society organisations are to be hand-delivered to the US, UK, French, German and Japanese embassies from 8am this morning, with seven more embassies scheduled for Wednesday and another seven, plus UN offices, for Thursday.

“We strongly condemn the use of brutally excessive force, arbitrary arrests, killings and inhumane treatment by the Cambodian authorities,” a joint statement released yesterday by the civil society groups says.

“We appeal to the international community to take action on this inhumane treatment on Cambodian citizens.”

Sia Phearum, director at the Housing Rights Task Force (HRTF), said communities affected by land disputes, including those from Boeung Kak and Borei Keila, would join to “hand-deliver” the petitions.

“We have no plan to march. Most of us NGO [workers] have motorbikes, but for community [groups], we don’t have a tuk-tuk, [so] if they have no transport, they can walk on the parkway,” he said.

“The parkway is a public space that everyone can access and walk on. We are not marching, we are not protesting. They [can] walk on the sidewalk because they pay tax to the government.”

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche said the group had not requested permission from the municipality.

“They don’t have permission, so if they do it, it means they are abusing the law,” he said.

The authorities would observe the behaviour of those participating, and take note of any wrongdoing, he added

“It is like playing football. If they have a mistake one time, then they will receive one yellow card. One more time, another yellow card. [On] the third time, they will be kicked out.”

Military police spokesman Kheng Tito said that security forces would take action only on orders from the authorities or government.

“We have our measures, but we will [only] do it if there is an order. And, of course, if their rally causes traffic jams or social disorder, then we will disperse them.”

The municipality’s ban on public gatherings and demonstrations remained in place and enforceable, Tito added, though in some cases a compromise could be reached.

“We have always prepared [to maintain] and secure social order and to avoid violence. This is our task.”

HRTF’s Phearum said he was concerned about a police crackdown, but emphasised the groups would not be doing anything against the law.

Opposition party spokesman Yim Sovann yesterday said that no representatives from the Cambodia National Rescue Party would attend the events.

Lyda Ngin, media and communications coordinator at umbrella group The NGO Forum on Cambodia, said although they were worried about a potential crackdown, civil society groups had a plan if blocked by authorities.

“If the authorities come, we will all sit down. And if they ask us to go anywhere, we will not go. And we will not [act] in a violent way.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year