Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Med school stands firm on fee



Med school stands firm on fee

Medical students protest in front of the University of Health Sciences
Medical students protest in front of the University of Health Sciences last week in Phnom Penh, appealing for officials to reduce the fee of the coming national exam. Pha Lina

Med school stands firm on fee

Despite outcry from medical students, the government is refusing to reduce the latest in a string of proposed fee hikes, this one nearly doubling the charge for the University of Health Science’s exit exam.

Last week, 50 student representatives for the 200 exam candidates protested outside the campus hoping to dissuade the administration from charging students $125 for the final practicum that previously cost $75.

Last year, the student protesters were able to successfully petition for no exam fee increase, but this year’s aspiring doctors had no such luck.

In a letter sent to the university’s rector on Friday, the National Exam Committee at the Council of Ministers maintained that the fee hike was necessary to cover the rising costs of the test.

“The committee would like to stabilise the fees for the national exam at $25 for the theory section and $100 for clinical skills segment,” Seng Limnov, director of the exam committee, wrote in the letter.

“We spend a lot on the exam paper … and on other materials for students to be evaluated during the exam. The committee is unable to earn any other funding asides from charging the students.”

Aspiring medical school graduates yesterday expressed disappointment at this newest spike in costs for their degree. In November, the University of Health Sciences, the state’s main medical school, raised the price of tuition and the entrance exam.

“The [graduation] exam fee is still a problem for me, but when they say it is appropriate and it cannot be discounted, it is like cutting off a bridge, so we have nothing to protest anymore,” said Chan Ngoc, one of the students slated to take the exit exam.

The protesters’ second demand, however – to raise the cut-off age for the exam candidates from 30 to 35 – has so far gone unaddressed.

The Council of Ministers said the issue was up to the ministries of health and education, both of which were unavailable to comment yesterday.

But if the age bar on the exam is not lifted or at least raised, students guaranteed another protest will be scheduled soon.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could