Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Media beatings condemned

Media beatings condemned

Tang Chhin Sothy, a press photographer for for Agence France-Presse, is hit with a baton by a military police officer on Monday in Phnom Penh
Tang Chhin Sothy, a press photographer for Agence France-Presse, is hit with a baton by a military police officer on Monday in Phnom Penh. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Media beatings condemned

Journalists who have been beaten by security forces while covering recent political protests and strikes by unionists called on the government yesterday to respect freedom of the press.

Three journalists – including a photographer for Agence France-Presse (AFP) – were beaten during a crackdown on a protest led by Beehive Radio owner Mom Sonando on Monday, according to a statement released yesterday by the Press Council of Cambodia.

The council criticised the government for allowing security forces to use violence against journalists, who are protected under Cambodia’s constitution.

“Reporters just work as messengers to spread the social news to the public who want to be informed,” the statement reads.

Tang Chhin Sothy, a 40-year-old photographer for AFP, was beaten by uniformed gendarmerie forces on Monday.

“I told my Japanese friend not to go near the fighting, then they hit [me], and I told them that I am an international reporter and they replied that reporters will be beaten too,” he said. “I was very lucky that I wore my helmet at that time.”

On January 4, Daun Penh district security forces and police units forcibly evicted Cambodia National Rescue Party protesters from Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park.

Son Cheng Chon, a reporter for local newspaper Prey Norkor, said yesterday that members of the security forces had used an electric prod to deliver a shock before stealing his camera during the forced eviction.

Chon has since filed a lawsuit with the district court.

“The security forces shocked me with a stick and took my camera. When I filed a lawsuit to the district, they said that they did not know which group [was responsible]. The man who took my camera wore a helmet and dark blue uniform,” he said.

Daun Penh district security guards often wear navy blue uniforms.

Despite scant reaction from the Ministry of Information regarding the allegations of attacks on the media, Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith in December said that state media would no longer cover opposition rallies after a state TV reporter was beaten by opposition supporters on December 10 at Freedom Park.

Chhum Socheat, director of cabinet at the Ministry of Information, said: “I also saw police beating journalists, but I have no comment,” referring questions to Kanharith, who had not responded to requests for comment at the time of going to press.

Brigadier General Kheng Tito, spokesman for the military police, said the security forces had no policy to target journalists covering protests.

“The authorities have no intention to abuse or hit reporters, since they do not know who is who during the confusion. In those events, there are many reporters, so it is inevitable [they will] affect each other,” he said.

“They did not intend to beat the reporters in order to prevent reporters from taking photos of the protest. We are so sorry for these unintentional actions,” he added.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY DANIEL PYE

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa

  • Drug prevention fight a cross-border effort, Mekong countries confirm

    Vientiane Times/ANN: Representatives from Laos, China, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam gathered in Vientiane on Friday for the opening of a centre that will foster close cooperation and support for the fight against illicit drugs in the region. The opening ceremony for the Safe