Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mediator records fewer strikes



Mediator records fewer strikes

Mediator records fewer strikes

In what it deemed an “inspiring trend” for Cambodia’s labour relations, the Arbitration Council reported that the number of cases it registered involving strike action – as well as the total number of cases themselves – declined in the first half of this year.

According to the independent labour dispute mediator’s latest newsletter, while over a quarter of the 174 cases received during the first six months of 2014 involved strike action, only 16 per cent of the 162 cases received for the same time this year did.

“This presents an inspiring trend as more cases followed the national dispute resolution procedure than an escalation in strike action,” it read.

Men Nimmith, acting executive director of the Arbitration Council Foundation, said the change was likely due to the end of garment worker strikes in early 2014.

“I think perhaps it’s [because] it’s after the political situation in 2014, when we had a lot of political issues and the demonstrations that turned violent,” he said.

Nimmith added that the increase in the minimum wage to $128, which went into effect in early 2015, also had a “cool-down” effect on workers and unions.

But Ath Thorn, president of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union, said that strikes were down this year partly because union leaders are “busy with the trade union law and the minimum wage”, two issues slated to be settled by the government towards the end of the year.

Ken Loo, secretary-general of the Garment Manufacturers Association of Cambodia, also said he had not observed a significant improvement in labour relations so far, adding that “strikes that do not follow [legal] procedures” routinely disrupted the industry.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants