Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Medical mistakes led to Svay Rieng death



Medical mistakes led to Svay Rieng death

Family members of Pin Chamnan on Friday filed a medical malpractice complaint against Svay Rieng's provincial hospital. Fresh News
Family members of Pin Chamnan on Friday filed a medical malpractice complaint against Svay Rieng's provincial hospital. Fresh News

Medical mistakes led to Svay Rieng death

A Svay Rieng provincial official yesterday acknowledged there were “minor” medical errors in a case at the provincial referral hospital that led to the death of a 49-year-old man who underwent surgery to repair three factures in one of his femurs and never woke up.

The family’s victim filed a complaint with provincial authorities on Friday, which follows a report that had already been submitted by the Provincial Health Department three days after the man’s June 12 death.

Kae Rotha, director of the Provincial Health Department, said his department convened a meeting to review the fatality, during which medical mistakes were identified.

The review found that the patient, Pin Chamnan, suffered from severe bleeding during the operation – something doctors weren’t able to prevent.

“They needed to [pay] much attention to blood [loss] prevention,” he said. They had “to be very careful”.

A fault was also identified in the process of administering anesthesia, he added. An anesthesiologist with 20 years of experience administered two injections before leaving his assistant, who only had studied anesthesiology for six months, to monitor the patient.

“The flaw is that he let this assistant take care of this patient,” he said, noting that the province suffers from a shortage of anesthesiologists.

Kong Sokhoeun, 50, the victim’s wife, said her husband was admitted into the provincial referral hospital on June 6 after being involved in a motorbike accident. She maintained that on June 12, right before the surgery, her husband was fully conscious, and even asked her to change his clothes.

“After the operation, the doctors called me into the room and said my husband was dead,” she said.

Sokhoeun said she filed a complaint with Provincial Governor Svay Sam Eang because the doctors were “very careless”. She added that they performed the operation without having enough extra blood on hand, and they overdid the anesthesia.

Chan Dara, director of the provincial referral hospital, confirmed that the victim never regained consciousness after the surgery. He also said he needed 750 millilitres of blood.

However, he added, it’s “unavoidable” that patients die. “It’s something unexpected,” he said. “We assumed he may have . . . [had] a stroke.”

Dara also maintained that the surgery to repair the fractured bone took place six days after the victim had been admitted into the hospital because the patient needed to be stabilised first. He said an X-ray had been performed on the day he was admitted to the hospital.

“I think from this incident, we need to strengthen our operations,” he said. Rotha said his department submitted a report on the case on June 15 to Sam Eang to make a decision on what action should be taken. Sam Eang said he hadn’t yet seen the complaint.

The Medical Council of Cambodia didn’t respond to a request for comment, and Ministry of Health Spokesman Ly Sovann referred questions to another official who couldn’t be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year