Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Men rescued after two months locked in capital bar



Men rescued after two months locked in capital bar

Men rescued after two months locked in capital bar

Nine Bangladeshi men have been released from the clutches of a suspected human trafficker after they were allegedly locked in a room at a Phnom Penh bar for up to two months, extorted and given just one meal a day.

Major General Uk Hai Sela, head of investigation at the General Department of Immigration, said 14 foreigners were taken into custody on Saturday after a raid on Euro Bar at Phnom Penh’s Sorya Mall.

The bar owner, Alo Mannirul, 36, also from Bangladesh, has been accused of extorting $4,500 from each of the nine victims after promising to secure them jobs in a third country.

He then allegedly detained them in the room and demanded an extra $1,000 from their families.

Two Pakistani men, a Filipino woman and an Iranian man who had been taken into police custody were yesterday expected to be released as police did not believe they were involved.

Police were alerted to the plot when one victim was allowed to attend a mosque and notified the authorities.

Hai Sela said Mannirul was due to face court but had not confessed, instead claiming to be a victim.

Dy Thehoya, a program officer at the labour rights group Central, said Bangladeshi nationals being trafficked was not unusual.

“So many foreigners are kept in Cambodia and transferred to third countries; Cambodia is a border crossing for trafficking,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma