Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Military clearing claims dismissed as outdated

Military clearing claims dismissed as outdated

Tractors in an area of protected forest in Oddar Meanchey that locals say was seized by military officials in 2016. Incursions by the military have been blamed for the failure of a REDD+ project in the province. Photo supplied
Tractors in an area of protected forest in Oddar Meanchey that locals say was seized by military officials in 2016. Incursions by the military have been blamed for the failure of a REDD+ project in the province. Photo supplied

Military clearing claims dismissed as outdated

A REDD Programme representative yesterday said it would be concerning if recent claims of the military systematically clearing protected forest in Oddar Meanchey province covered under the scheme proved true – though a third-party company has dismissed the claims as outdated.

Florian Eisele, with the UN REDD Programme, yesterday said if the claims made by a UK-based environmental organisation, Fern, are correct, it would be “concerning”, but the UN program “does usually not work with individual projects nor are we in a position to comment on them”.

Conservation experts have said Oddar Meanchey’s carbon crediting scheme – Cambodia’s first REDD+ project – has been highly problematic since it first started in 2008 at a time when many settlers in the area were soldiers, making it difficult to protect the forest. The latest claims were made in a November 2017 report by Fern.

After the report was published, Virgin Atlantic, which used carbon credits from the project to offset its flights, asked Natural Capital Partners, the company facilitating the purchase of the credits, to investigate the claims.

However, Rebecca Fay, with Natural Capital Partners, said it had reported back to Virgin Atlantic regarding the Fern accusations.

“The fern report appears to be based on articles from 2014 and 2016 which they have taken from other publications,” she wrote in an email, declining to answer how Natural Capital Partners carried out its investigation, and how it concluded that those issues had been solved.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a