Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Military commander apologises to teachers

Military commander apologises to teachers

Students gather to demand a public apology from the provincial Military Police’s head of security, Sous Sovanna, on Saturday in Kampong Thom province.
Students gather to demand a public apology from the provincial Military Police’s head of security, Sous Sovanna, on Saturday in Kampong Thom province. Photo supplied

Military commander apologises to teachers

The deputy provincial Military Police commander who sparked a 2,000-strong protest at Kampong Thom High School publicly apologised for insulting and intimidating teachers who punished his daughter for tardiness last month, with mediating authorities calling for a moratorium on discussing the dispute over social media.

Kampong Thom Governor Sok Luo mediated yesterday’s meeting between the provincial Military Police’s head of security, Sous Sovanna, and the high school education department, which wanted an apology from the commander. Luo said Sovanna apologised and the groups had reconciled, adding that he also told those on either side of the issue not to take their grievances to Facebook.

The conflict began when Sovanna’s daughter, a grade 10 student, was made to stand in front of the class for 30 minutes after she arrived late to a lesson on November 16. Sovanna went to the high school three days later to complain about the punishment to Principal Koy Kim Heng, insulting teachers and calling them illiterate.

Students and teachers – allegedly numbering in the thousands – protested to voice their disapproval of the tirade, calling for Sovanna to apologise.

Principal Kim Heng said she was satisfied with Sovanna’s apology and sought no further compensation. “We just want him to understand about the teachers, and turn to give value to the teachers,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will