Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Military police to discuss graft investigation results



Military police to discuss graft investigation results

Military police to discuss graft investigation results

The disciplinary council of the National Military Police is to convene today to discuss the results of a graft investigation involving three provincial military police commanders.

National Military Police commander Sao Sokha told The Post on Monday that the council would evaluate the findings and take action accordingly.

“[The commanders] will hear the investigation report and the [disciplinary council] will evaluate.

“If they are involved in corruption, we will take disciplinary actions in accordance with military rules,” he said.

National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said on Thursday that the council had concluded its investigation into the corruption allegations involving the provincial military police’s top brass.

The investigation came after local media outlets reported earlier this month that Preah Vihear provincial military police commander Kang Sao Kun had allegedly embezzled about 80 million riel ($19,752) that belonged to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s bodyguard unit chief Hing Bun Heang.

The money is said to have been from the July 29 national election campaign fund.

Meanwhile, Kampong Chhnang provincial military police commander Sak Sarang was alleged to have accepted bribes from illegal timber traders.

The report also accused Kampong Speu provincial military police commander Chuo Sarun of allegedly embezzling money and rice donated by Hun Many, the National Assembly member for the province, during the Senate and parliamentary elections in July.

Both Sao Kun and Sarang have denied the allegations, with the former claiming he would file a lawsuit against his accusers.

Sarang said: “I did not commit any acts of corruption. We will let the leaders conclude who is right and who is wrong.”

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability director San Chey said the investigation would not be effective in proving the commanders’ involvement in graft without the participation of the anti-corruption unit.

“We cannot take a knife to cut ourselves. For officials in the military police or armed forces, the investigation would not be thorough as long as external parties participate,” he claimed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial