​Mine kills one, injures two in Battambang | Phnom Penh Post

Mine kills one, injures two in Battambang

National

Publication date
25 November 2015 | 06:55 ICT

Reporter : Kim Sarom

More Topic

A police officer questions locals next to a crater in Battambang province on Monday after a tractor hit a landmine in a rice paddy. Photo supplied

One villager was killed and two more were seriously injured while rice farming on Monday when their tractor rolled over a land mine in Battambang’s Bavel district.

According to Oeum Tith, Bavel district police chief, the victims were returning from farming when the mine exploded, leaving the three badly injured and the tractor destroyed.

Tith said that 32-year-old Khim Seiha died en route to a nearby private hospital. Tith identified the two injured victims as tractor owner Doung Tim Dara, 49, and farmer Ve Saroum, 27.

Pring Panharith, an officer with the Cambodia Mine Action Centre’s (CMAC) provincial bureau, said that in Battambang province there are many undetonated landmines, which are mainly located in Bavel, Banan and Samlot districts.

“We have cleared many landmines here and make the cleared lands available for use, but still there are deeply buried landmines,” he said.

According to a September report from the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority, Battambang has accounted for the highest portion of the Kingdom’s landmine casualties since January 2014, at nearly 27 per cent.

Nevertheless, in Battambang – and nationally – the number of landmine casualties is significantly lower so far this year compared to 2014. Battambang suffered 39 casualties through September 2014, but just 24 in the same period this year.

Contact PhnomPenh Post for full article

SR Digital Media
#41 St 228, Phum 4 Sangkat Boeng Rang, Khan Doun Penh, Phnom Penh Cambodia

Tel: Celcard: 078 555 166/ 078 555 133
Smart: 086 822 999 / 086 277 999

Copyright © All rights reserved, The Phnom Penh Post