Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mine museum chiefs detained



Mine museum chiefs detained

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Aki Ra is seen with a mine removal team in a photograph displayed at his Siem Reap museum. Phak Seangly

Mine museum chiefs detained

The Siem Reap provincial court on Saturday put the founder of the Cambodia Landmine Museum and its senior officials in pre-trial detention on charges of illegal possession of weapons.

This follows a fire on the premises after which authorities discovered old and rusty weapons in a small shed on the museum’s compound.

Court spokesperson Riem Chanmony told The Post on Sunday that Aki Ra, the museum’s founder, was arrested along with Hanh Sokuthea, its executive director, and Eoun Yun, the deputy director, in Banteay Srey district on August 28, a day after a fire accident at the museum’s canteen.

Provincial authorities found nine grenades, 15 “72A” mines, 325 bullets, six broken machine guns, two cases of anti-tank mine shells, a grenade crate, and a case of detonating cord, among others.

During questioning, Aki Ra said the weapons belonged to his late uncle, though he had never made a report of the stockpiles to the authorities.

Chanmony said the museum had been closed pending investigation.

“The court decided to shut down the museum temporarily,” he said.

The closure of the museum, which doubles as a school providing education, food and shelter for at-risk and mine-affected youth, is expected to have a major impact.

Chhun Bora, the training manager at Cambodia Self-Help Demining, an NGO founded by Aki Ra, said through the museum’s funding, 21 schools had been built in the north and northeast of Cambodia.

The schools have provided free education for at least 600 students and improved the livelihood of about 60 volunteers teaching there.

At the museum’s headquarters in Banteay Srey district’s Kna Sanday commune, 30 students had received free education, with half of them finishing high school and pursuing higher education at the university.

Bora called on the court to let the museum continue its activities.

“I don’t fully understand court proceedings, but I think the case does not involve the museum. The court should let the organisation continue its activities so that it can make money from visitors to support the living of its staffs and students,” Bora said.

Provincial police said students at the museums were being looked after by the social affairs department.

Born in 1970 and separated from his family by the Khmer Rouge at the age of five, Akira fought for the many different armies that ravaged the country for nearly 35 years. In the early 1990’s, he worked for the United Nations clearing landmines around Angkor Wat.

Aki Ra has extracted around 50,000 mines throughout his demining career, at times using bare hands without technical devices. In 2010 he was named a CNN top 10 hero. He received the Manhae Prize awarded by the Manhae Foundation in South Korea In 2012.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and