Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mining site accident kills one, injures one in Mondulkiri



Mining site accident kills one, injures one in Mondulkiri

A survivor of a mine collapse in Mondulkiri receives treatment yesterday. Photo supplied
A survivor of a mine collapse in Mondulkiri receives treatment yesterday. Photo supplied

Mining site accident kills one, injures one in Mondulkiri

An accident at a Mondulkiri mine that only last year obtained one of the Kingdom’s first community mining licences has left one man dead and another seriously injured.

According to a Mines and Energy Ministry spokesman, a pulley rope hauling a bucket of debris up an 8-metre mineshaft snapped yesterday, dropping its load on Lim San, 21, and En Nay, 31, killing San. Both hail from Tbong Khmum province.

The shaft, located in Poutong village in the Prey Meas forest, is owned by Lim San’s uncle, Heng Sambath, 41.

“The dead victim is my nephew who lived with me since he was young. I am very sorry for the incident since he is my own nephew,” Sambath said.

For many years, the shaft, along with many like it in the area, operated illegally. Last year, the Ministry of Mines and Energy advised the miners to apply for a community mining licence.

Ministry spokesman Meng Saktheara said that, based on preliminary reports, it appears the accident was the result of negligence on the part of Sambath.

Saktheara explained that safety regulations demand that the digging and transportation of material take place in separate locations. Sambath’s shaft, he said, had both activities taking place on the same spot.

“The big mistake is that the digging and transporting site is the same; they should not be with each other like that. Therefore, it caused death,” he said.

“The second mistake is that the instruments were not checked and the pulley may have been overloaded. The owner did not check the safety standards.”

Sambath denies the rope broke, claiming instead that a single stone fell into the shaft.

The owner was questioned by police at the site, but was not arrested. His site and others in the area have been temporarily closed following the incident.

San Darith, provincial director of the mines and energy department, said yesterday that 43 families hold licences for gold mining businesses in the area.

Following the accident, he said his officers plan to inspect safety standards at the mineshafts on Sunday.

Ministry spokesman Saktheara warned that the ministry will take tough measures, promising to cancel the licences of any owners found in violation of safety regulations.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said