Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Minister: Avoid fake news



Minister: Avoid fake news

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith. Hean Rangsey

Minister: Avoid fake news

Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith said some people had been spreading false narratives under the guise of reporting news.

In his Facebook post on Monday, Kanharith said these actions affected the honour and dignity of professional reporters.

He said small and medium-sized enterprises had complained about unprofessional reporters asking for money. If the enterprises refused to give them money, they spread fake news saying that the enterprises had secretly sold illegal goods, which affected their businesses.

Kanharith’s Facebook post said: “Disorganised activities of unprofessional reporters refer to reporters who have no articles to be published. [These] reporters only have a small camera and mobile phone to broadcast on social media platforms. They have no regular agenda, but regularly ask for money.”

Citing enterprise owners, he said those unprofessional reporters had spread news without understanding commercial laws and standard procedures.

“I hope that all reporters will try to avoid professional misconduct and join hands to deal with imposter reporters for the sake of the dignity of professional reporters in Cambodia,” Kanharith said.

Chhaya Neath, the editor-in-chief of CPC News, said according to practical observations and reports from citizens, this phenomenon is affecting the professions of real reporters.

“When citizens, businesspeople or civil servants keep saying that reporters have become extortionists, it is really unacceptable.

“[I] hope that the Minister of Information will implement measures against these unprofessional and unethical reporters to uphold the value of professions dealing with information” he said.

Club of Cambodian Journalists (CCJ) president Pen Bona told The Post on Tuesday that currently, many individuals are disguising themselves as reporters to commit unethical acts which damage the reputation of professional reporters.

“There are a great many such individuals. Some are Facebook users who present themselves as reporters. Some others join hands to set up a group to go to a place to earn money.

“They do other activities, saying that they are reporters. But what they do does not reflect professional reporting ... their only interest is to serve themselves,” he said.

Bona said the public had mistaken the activities of imposters for those of real accredited reporters.

Hence, the Ministry of Information, he said, should take measures to distinguish occupational reporters from reporters who just present themselves as such.

Information and broadcasting director-general Phos Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the ministry would not remain silent on the matter. It will lay out some measures to strengthen the implementation of the press law.

Spreading information in an unprofessional and incorrect manner and causing incitement is detrimental to the interests of small and medium-sized enterprises.

“We have laid out two main measures. The first is to set up legal standards to eliminate fake news. The other is to establish an educational mechanism and strengthen the implementation of the law on reporters,” he said.

Sovann said his ministry had cooperated with other ministries and institutions to strengthen the implementation of the law for local reporters who spread false news, incite violence and cause chaos in society.

The same applied to news websites not registered at the ministry and a small number of foreign newspapers based abroad.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration