Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Minister slams UN rep over alleged ‘prejudice’



Minister slams UN rep over alleged ‘prejudice’

OHCHR Cambodia representative Wan-Hea Lee speaks last month in Phnom Penh during a public forum on the Paris Peace Accords. Photo supplied
OHCHR Cambodia representative Wan-Hea Lee speaks last month in Phnom Penh during a public forum on the Paris Peace Accords. Photo supplied

Minister slams UN rep over alleged ‘prejudice’

Foreign Minister Prak Sokhon slammed UN Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) country representative Wan-Hea Lee for alleged “prejudice” in a two-page missive released on Friday.

The letter was sent to UN Development Project resident representative Claire Van der Vaeren, blasting Wan-Hea Lee for having “crossed the red line of the UN charter . . . under[m]ining the respect for sovereignty and non-interference” when she requested an explanation for the ban recently imposed on opposition leader Sam Rainsy.

Sokhon decried the request as Lee “expressing her prejudices against the Royal Government of Cambodia” on the matter. He went on to reference OHCHR’s memorandum of understanding with the Interior Ministry, which expired last December and has yet to be renewed.

“In the absence of a valid Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Royal Government of Cambodia and the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the current operation and activities of the OHCHR in Cambodia, including those of its Country Representative, are not legitimate,” Sokhonn wrote.

“I would like to reiterate [Cambodia’s] firm commitment to improving the smooth and effective cooperation with the OHCHR through the early conclusion of the new MoU on the basis of the principle of respect for sovereignty and non-interference in Cambodia’s internal affairs.”

OHCHR’s Lee and Foreign Ministry spokesman Chum Sounry declined to comment on the letter, while Van der Vaeren was on leave and could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese