I would like to point out that your article "The uneven scales of Khmer justice"
(Post Oct 6 - 19, 1995) contained 'heaps' of inaccuracies, especially the following:
- "...., and it is Snguon who hires and fires judges and prosecutors..."
(paragraph IV of first column).
- Since taking office, I have not fired any judge or prosecutor.
- "Snguon's latest memo dated Sept 13 to provincial chief judges is a case
in point. He ruled as from that date prisoners' parole will be decided by a 'specialized
department' within his ministry 'which is in charge of this matter' " (paragraph
5 of first column).
There is no such "latest" memo which rules that prisoners' parole will
be decided by a "specialized department" within the ministry.
- "Every month Snguon meets his senior judges" (paragraph 8 of fourth
This is not true. I do not have monthly meetings with senior judges, or any regular
meeting with senior judges.
I have reservations about other paragraphs in the article, but the above are the
- Chem Snguon, Government Senior Minister, Ministry of Justice.