Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry announces new round of cash handouts for laid-off workers

Ministry announces new round of cash handouts for laid-off workers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Garment workers leave their factory after work in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district in May. Hong Menea

Ministry announces new round of cash handouts for laid-off workers

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training announced the government’s next round of cash assistance for 6,366 laid-off workers from 22 factories in the garment and tourism sectors that had suspended operation due to the pandemic.

The cash handout is in accordance with the government’s raft of social assistance programmes implemented during the Covid-19 outbreak.

According to the ministry’s announcement on September 1, this is the government’s 68th relief package.

The ministry said the cash handouts are paid in riel and based on how long the worker had been out of work. Those who have been laid off from seven to 10 days will receive 60,750 riel ($15), those for 11-20 and 21-30 days would receive the equivalent of $30 and $40, respectively.

Electronic payment service provider Wing will send a message to workers’ telephone numbers provided to the ministry through their factory management. It will transfer the cash assistance back to the government if workers fail to pick it up within 10 days of receiving notification from Wing.

The ministry told workers to bring their Khmer national identification cards and phones to any Wing agent. The transfer has no service charge.

Any worker that does not receive a message from Wing are advised to update their phone number and contact their factory administration. The ministry will continue to inform other workers about receiving the cash allowance.

Ath Thorn, president of the Cambodian Labour Confederation, said that in the previous cash handouts, about 90 per cent of workers received allowances from the government, but technical issues related to wrong phone numbers or names had led to about 10 per cent of them not receiving the allowance. But the issue was resolved.

He said the provision of cash to workers in the garment and tourism sectors has assisted with alleviating difficulties, but only a small portion. He said the number of workers suspended during the pandemic exceeded that of workers receiving assistance from the government.

The reason, he said, was that some unregistered factories, enterprises and hotels did not report workers’ suspension to the ministry.

“The government considered only companies, factories and enterprises that are registered. This is a problem,” he said.

He said some hotels also suspended workers but did not report it to the government because they are not registered, leaving them suffering,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro