Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry clarifies the removal of Chinese



Ministry clarifies the removal of Chinese

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
128 Chinese were arrested in Preah Sihanouk province for their alleged involvement in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) money extortion scam last week. FRESH NEWS

Ministry clarifies the removal of Chinese

The Ministry of Interior has said that the arrest of more than 100 Chinese nationals last week was based on the spirit of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with China and relevant Cambodian immigration laws.

A ministry press release issued on Friday to clarify what it called “misleading comments” in some media outlets said the people who were arrested were wanted by the authorities in China for crimes in their homeland.

“We searched for the offenders following a warrant from Chinese authorities who were seeking to take legal action and find justice for their victims in China.

“In all operations to crack down on crimes and arrest criminals, whether they are Cambodians or foreigners, the Cambodian authorities have always first investigated and collected enough evidence under the law.

“If those [Chinese nationals] were imprisoned in the Kingdom, it would be a big burden on the national budget.

“All foreigners who have been arrested and deported from Cambodia in accordance with the Law on Immigration will be put onto the immigration management system blacklist and will not be allowed to enter Cambodia again.

“The Cambodian authorities have arrested foreigners involved in crimes in their countries and deported them as per the spirit of the MoU between the two countries,” the ministry said.

It said some analysts had made remarks based on incomplete information and without a clear legal basis, which could give an inaccurate impression of Cambodia’s law enforcement measures both nationally and internationally.

The ministry’s clarification came after recent criticism by social observers of the deportation of Chinese nationals.

Last week, 128 Chinese were arrested in Preah Sihanouk province for their alleged involvement in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) money extortion scam.

“These people were involved in online scams. When our procedures are complete, the police will send them out of Cambodia,” Y Sokhy, the head of the Department of Counter-terrorism and Transnational Crime, told The Post on Thursday.

Dy The Hoya, a senior official at labour rights group Central, said that if Cambodia was managed well, Chinese nationals would be punished according to the Kingdom’s laws and would not dare to continue committing crimes.

However, he still urged Cambodia to strictly enforce the law to control immigrants.

“It is clear – wrong is wrong, right is right. Today there is criticism of Chinese nationals using cars with state number plates, military number plates and police number plates.

“When we have no control and they do what they want as long as they have money, there is anarchy. It makes people think that anyone who has money can do whatever they want. So I want to see if we can change that. Any crime committed in Cambodia should be punished in Cambodia,” The Hoya said.

The National Police website quoted Ministry of Interior secretary of state Sok Phal as saying that of some 200,000 Chinese nationals living in the Kingdom, more than 78,000 reside in Preah Sihanouk province – but only 20,000 have work permits.

The ministry has said that from 2014 until the end of July, more than 2,700 Chinese nationals had been deported.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma