Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry confirms reopening of selected schools in Kingdom



Ministry confirms reopening of selected schools in Kingdom

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports has announced the reopening of some public schools from grades 9 to 12 across the country. Heng Chivoan

Ministry confirms reopening of selected schools in Kingdom

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports has announced the reopening of some public schools from grades 9 to 12 across the country. But public schools of all levels can reopen only in four low-risk provinces such as Kratie, Stung Treng, Ratanakkiri, and Mondulkiri town.

The reopening of the second phase will start on September 7 for some public schools and some private schools.

Secondary and kindergarten classes will be able to complete the second semester by the end of November, while primary schools can be completed by the end of December.

The high school diploma examination will be held on December 21 and the lower secondary school diploma examination session on November 30.

A new guideline from the ministry issued on Thursday said it will examine the possibility of opening public schools in other capitals and provinces on a small scale. Private schools from kindergarten to high school reopening for the second stage must apply and sign an agreement with the Ministry in advance.

Educational institutions must implement disinfection measures by limiting the number of students in each classroom from 15 to 20 per room and implement a safety distance of at least two metres between students.

Schools must keep campus entrances open to avoid congestion and students standing in line should be 1.5m apart.

They must also have a health room with a teacher in charge of first aid and medical examination of students and staff. Parents must provide information about health and travel history while temperature must be taken before students and staff enter the classroom area.

Bak Touk High School in Phnom Penh, which has the largest number of 12th-grade students in the country, was selected as the first school to reopen in the second phase and includes in-class study and distance learning using technology.

The ministry said other educational institutions that have not yet reopened must continue to teach from a distance, while it continues to cooperate with all stakeholders to assess the situation and evaluate the preparation of educational institutions’ readiness to open in the third stage.

The government announced the closure of all schools across the country in March and required both urban and rural students to study remotely through television programmes or Facebook to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The reopening of schools is divided into three phases. The first is for schools with high safety standards, the second for those with moderate safety standards and the third for schools with minimum standards.

In the first phase, 20 private international schools with high safety standards were allowed to reopen in August.

Ministry of Education spokesman Ros Soveacha told The Post it was not yet possible to confirm the number of public and private schools that will open in the second phase.

Cambodia has so far prevented Covid-19 from spreading in the community, and Prime Minister Hun Sen recently announced the reopening of schools due to Cambodia’s success.

The Kingdom has reported no new cases in the past 13 days. A total of 273 cases have been reported since the pandemic began.

The global pandemic of Covid-19 has hit public health, the economy and education. UNICEF reported in June more than one billion students worldwide were out of school in 105 countries.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there