Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry defends newspaper closures

Ministry defends newspaper closures

Ministry defends newspaper closures

The Ministry of Information yesterday defended its closure of nearly 50 Khmer-language newspapers and magazines last month and said it was still considering shutting down additional outlets that hold expired licences.

On September 20, the Ministry announced the closure of 46 Khmer language newspapers, magazines and other publications, with 16 additional outlets under consideration for the same fate.

Yem Noy, director of the Ministry of Information’s Media Centre Department, defended the ministry’s decision yesterday against criticism that the move represented an attack on freedom of the press.

“This shutdown has nothing to do with freedom of the press. The licences were cancelled due to inactivity,” he said.

Yem Noy said that all of the publications involved in the closures had not operated for the past decade and lacked a proper address.

“After our investigation, we found that the newspapers and magazines in question had not been publishing, despite being licensed by the Ministry of Information,” he said.

The ministry would reconsider its decision, Yem Noy added, if publishers made a request to renew their licences.

Ek Visarakhun, secretary general of the Press Council of Cambodia, said that he had not yet received any complaints from affected publishers, but that the ministry should have notified them that they were in danger of being shutdown.

“Closing a newspaper without informing the individual publisher in advance is a violation of the principle of freedom of the press,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s