Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry: Expressway tolls under review for September opening

Ministry: Expressway tolls under review for September opening

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An aerial view of the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway. MPWT

Ministry: Expressway tolls under review for September opening

The Ministry of Public Works and Transport has yet to announce a date when the public will be able to use the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway. The ministry is currently in consultations with the road’s builders to establish a toll system for the road, and expects that the expressway will be in use soon.

Ministry spokesman Heang Sotheayuth said on July 17 that the ministry had issued a July 12 notice prohibiting all types of vehicles from travelling on the road. The notice came following a series of high speed accidents on the as yet unopened highway.

“We have not yet agreed on a date, as we have to formalise some internal affairs between the builders of the road and the ministry. We are establishing a tentative toll management system. The expressway was built as a BOT, or Build-Operate-Transfer, project. This means that after construction, they will charge users to recoup their costs,” he said.

“The company is still testing their toll system, so the public will have to wait,” he added.

The July 12 notice said that the expressway is not yet complete, and still lacked some safety features. A large number of road users had been using the road regardless, and had caused frequent accidents.

In order to avoid disturbing the construction process, the ministry had suggested the company close all exits and entrances of the highway, except for vehicles involved in construction work and those specifically approved by the ministry.

Construction is estimated to be 94 per cent complete, and the ministry expects to open the expressway in September.

Sotheayuth explained that the road would be divided into five sections, with each being tolled separately.

When the road is launched, drivers will collect an electronic card when they enter the toll road. It will record the distance they travel and they will be charged accordingly when they exit. Regular users of the expressway will be able to order a pre-paid card that they can keep in their vehicle, or vehicles in the case of a large company.

The ministry said the expressway spans 187km and begun in March 2019. The expressway connects to Samraong Kraom village I of Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district to village I in commune III of Preah Sihanouk province’s Sihanoukville.

The expressway is being constructed by PPSHV Expressway Co. Ltd, a subsidiary of China Road Bridge Corporation. Technical inspections are the responsibility of Minconsult SDN BHD. Expected to take 48 months to complete, the project cost some $2,000 million.

The four lane road passes through Phnom Penh and four provinces, including Kandal, Kampong Speu, Koh Kong and Preah Sihanouk.

The expressway is the first of its kind in the Kingdom, and is an important strategic corridor project. It will reduce the travel time between Sihanoukville Port and Phnom Penh from five hours to just two, meaning it will greatly reduce the cost of logistics.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • Cambodia's poverty cut in half from 2009 to 2019: World Bank report

    A report published by the World Bank on November 28 states that Cambodia’s national poverty rate fell by almost half between 2009 and 2019, but the Covid-19 pandemic recently reversed some of the poverty reduction progress. Cambodia’s poverty rate dropped from 33.8 to 17.8 per cent over the 10