Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry pledges funds to unpaid workers




Ministry pledges funds to unpaid workers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Garment workers stage a protest over unpaid wages in Kandal province in November. Pha Lina

Ministry pledges funds to unpaid workers

The Ministry of Labour has pledged to allocate a special fund to assist garment workers who were deprived of their wages following the closure of their factory at Phnom Penh’s Por Senchey district amid the death of its owner.

The ministry’s Labour Dispute Committee deputy secretary-general Vong Sovann said officials visited Julee Apparel Factory at Por Sen Chey district’s Kakab commune yesterday, to investigate the protest carried out by the disgruntled workers.

“We met them and made a list of the more than 200 affected workers. Our next step is to request for an advance fund for these workers after calculating the actual costs. At this moment we don’t know how much they will receive,” he said.

Sovann was not able to say when the workers will receive their outstanding wages and other related benefits.

“We will think about workers’ wages and their benefits first. We still don’t know when they will get it.”

The workers were left in a limbo after the owner, a South Korean national, hanged himself at his residence in Kakab commune on July 30.

Commune police chief Phal Yuthea confirmed that 49-year-old Ju Doo Soo committed suicide in his house but did not reveal the reasons for his death.

The factory, a sub-contractor for international brands like Primark and Kie&Kie, ceased operations on August 1, following Ju’s death.

About 100 workers staged a protest outside their factory and blocked the roads for an hour last week demanding the company resolve their grouses immediately. The factory was in operation for only six months.

Srey Savorn, a 35-year-old mother of four, and her construction worker husband said the ministry will try to settle her unpaid wages by August 10. The workers have stopped protesting as well.

“We have no money and want them to solve this problem quickly. I have not started looking for a new job yet because I want to solve this problem first,” she said.

Center for Alliance of Labour and Human Rights (Central) program coordinator Khun Tharo welcomed the ministry’s intervention to provide funds to help the jobless workers.

“But we want other relevant parties, like unions, employers and workers to participate. We want the authorities to calculate the workers’ benefits based on the law so that they will not lose out,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped