Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry puts brakes on Pailin dump plans

Ministry puts brakes on Pailin dump plans

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A section of cleared land in Pailin province earlier this month where a proposed dumpsite was to be constructed. Photo supplied

Ministry puts brakes on Pailin dump plans

The Ministry of Environment has called on local authorities in Pailin province to find a new location for a 34-hectare dumpsite currently planned for a protected forest.

Environment Minister Say Sam Al, who led a team to inspect the site on October 3, wrote to Pailin Governor Keut Sothear following the visit explaining that Samlot Protected Forest had been deemed an unsuitable area for the dump.

“The team observed that the location is not appropriate for a solid-waste dumpsite because it is on a gradient, which can affect the biodiversity and quality of the environment, (especially the springs) in the area,” the minister wrote in the letter dated October 16, which was obtained yesterday.

He added that provincial authorities should find a new location for the dumpsite, which will be used to house rubbish from Pailin town.

The provincial government and Environment Department in 2010 set aside the area, which is under the joint protection of the Environment Ministry and the Maddox Jolie-Pitt Foundation (MJP), for the dumpsite, despite having no approval from the central ministry.

Environment Ministry spokesman Sao Sopheap yesterday confirmed that the site had been deemed unsuitable.

But Sothear, the provincial governor, claimed that he had not yet received the letter.

“Let’s wait for the documents to arrive before deciding what to do. The location will be inspected, but we have not reserved a new location yet.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Still no word about EBA but rice likely unaffected

    Officials on Monday said the government had not received an official statement regarding the EU’s potential withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. The EU launched the EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2