Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry refuses to intervene in Koh Kong land dispute



Ministry refuses to intervene in Koh Kong land dispute

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Koh Kong villagers involved in land disputes travelled to Phnom Penh to protest in front of the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction last month. Heng Chivoan

Ministry refuses to intervene in Koh Kong land dispute

The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction refused to intervene in land disputes in Koh Kong province’s Botum Sakor district after 77 families involved in the conflict requested its intervention.

The ministry said those disputes had already been solved by an inter-ministerial committee.

A press release obtained by The Post on Wednesday said 77 families have requested the ministry’s intervention in the case. These families came from the Bak Ronoas, Ta Noun, Tuol Pou and Prek Khyang villages in Ta Noun commune.

Kun Sao, Mov Siden, Lim Aun and Phay Tuon, who represent the families, travelled to Phnom Penh to protest in front of the ministry on Tuesday. They requested its help to solve land disputes with Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG).

Each family is demanding one hectare of farmland.

After reviewing the case, the ministry found that the disputes had already been resolved.

It said each family was compensated with a plot of land measuring 50m by 100m and one to six hectares of farmland, depending on the size of the land that they occupied before they were displaced. Each family was also given a house and $350 to $10,000 in compensation.

However, Men Vuthy, a representative of the families, said they had not received any compensation.

He said in 2008, UDG bulldozed their farmland and village without offering any compensation. They had lived on that land for many generations, he said.

“I would like to ask the authorities to come and see the situation for themselves, and to investigate to know more about the plight of my people. The ministry’s announcement made us lose hope. We don’t know who can help us now,” he said.

Ta Noun commune chief Van Puthy said a special committee already gave the victims land, money, and wooden houses in 2010. But some of the victims sold the land and houses and asked for more compensation.

“They were offered compensation already. The company has no more land to give them,” he said.

Hour In, a Licadho human rights coordinator in Koh Kong, said he had monitored the case for nearly seven years.

He said the authorities compensated the victims with land, houses and money, but the compensation given was not always fair, particularly in cases where the victims owned large plots of land.

“The authorities should have reviewed the case. Some of the victims are not satisfied because they had 10ha or 20ha of farmland, but were given only 5ha like everyone else,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and