Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry screening Rio athletes for Zika virus



Ministry screening Rio athletes for Zika virus

Taekwondo star Sorn Seavmey and other members of the Cambodian Olympic team return to Phnom Penh last week.
Taekwondo star Sorn Seavmey and other members of the Cambodian Olympic team return to Phnom Penh last week.

Ministry screening Rio athletes for Zika virus

Cambodian athletes are being screened for Zika after returning from the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, and health officials will monitor their health for two weeks in order to minimise any possible transmission, an official with the Ministry of Health said yesterday.

Chances of athletes being infected with the mosquito-borne illness are low, but officials had to take precautionary measures, said Health Ministry spokesman Ly Sovann.

Sixteen people were screened for Zika symptoms on Thursday after arriving in the Kingdom. Brazil has been ground zero for the Zika virus, which has been linked to birth defects.

“No one showed any symptoms,” said Sovann. “We will follow their health for two weeks.”

However, no blood or other bodily fluid tests were conducted, which didn’t comfort Nhan Sokvisal, games coordinator for the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia and deputy chief for the Rio games mission. A blood test would eliminate any doubts, he said.

“We would have no questions,” he said. “We would feel . . . better.”

According to the WHO, the incubation period for Zika is not clear, but symptoms are likely to appear within a few days after becoming infected.

Health officials followed WHO’s recommendations for the screening, Sovann said.

Athletes were also educated on Zika and told to immediately contact health officials if they experience any symptoms.

Cambodia saw its last Zika case in 2010.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year