Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry tells Phnom Penh to put end to digging



Ministry tells Phnom Penh to put end to digging

A man looks over an open pit, that was formally used to dig soil, yesterday on the outskirts of Phnom Penh.
A man looks over an open pit, that was formally used to dig soil, yesterday on the outskirts of Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Ministry tells Phnom Penh to put end to digging

In the wake of recent illegal digging in the capital, Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has called on the Phnom Penh city governor to stop issuing licences allowing businesses to dig soil in the city and to strengthen its enforcement on a longstanding government ban on the practice.

In a letter to Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong dated September 5 and obtained yesterday, Sem said the government in 2005 decided to halt soil digging in the capital, but the ministry has observed that the municipality continues to issue licences allowing businesses to dig.

The notice was issued following a recent crackdown in Por Sen Chey district on illegal digging by two individuals, Kem Sotheary and Chray Sambou, said Dith Tina, secretary of state for the ministry.

“Last week, the ministry’s inspection team already warned those individuals to stop digging,” he said. “And if they continue their illegal activities, we will enforce the law with Article 35.”

Under Article 35 of the Mineral Resource Management and Exploitation Law, any person found to be mining in violation of the law, faces punishments including hefty fines and up to five years in prison.

“The ministry understands about the development demand in Phnom Penh municipality, but those developments need to comply with law,” the ministry’s letter reads.

Contact information couldn’t be found for Sotheary or Sambou yesterday.

Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Khoung Sreng and City Hall spokesman Mean Chanyada both denied that the municipality had allowed companies to dig.

“City Hall has not issued them [licences] and we don’t allow them to do illegal business,” Sreng said.

However, according to a letter dated May 6, also obtained yesterday, Socheatvong acknowledges the city has issues with the digging and transport of soil, and orders all 12 districts to shut down open pits.

In the letter, Socheatvong says businesses’ noncompliance was “resulting in anarchy and damaging the infrastructure in Phnom Penh city”.

“In order to prevent and control open-pit businesses, Phnom Penh City Hall has decided to shut down open-pit businesses in Phnom Penh city and invalidate any documents that allow them to operate . . . all over Phnom Penh,” he said in the letter.

Chanyada said officials plan to meet with the ministry to discuss the recent case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants