Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry urges fire safety measures



Ministry urges fire safety measures

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Causing wildfires through carelessness is punishable with between five and 10 years in prison and a fine of $4,250 to $37,500. POST PIX

Ministry urges fire safety measures

The Ministry of Environment has told sub-national authorities to urge the public to be mindful when using fire to prevent incidents of wildfires.

Wildfires caused by carelessness is punishable with five to 10 years in prison and a fine of 17-150 million riel ($4,250-$37,500).

The directive came after the predicted high temperatures to be felt in Cambodia and other countries in the region brought by the El Nino.

The ministry on November 6 noted the yearly occurrence of wildfires in natural protected areas across the Kingdom, especially in the dry season.

The statement said: “Wildfires in the dry season are mainly driven by deforestation and land-clearing for agriculture purposes, burning the forest to flush out and hunt wild animals, and human negligence.

“[The authorities] must prevent deforestation, forest clearing and the intentional setting of forests and low-land forests on fire for illegal purposes, which could cause wildfires and could reach people’s houses, state-protected areas and individual infrastructure around the natural protected area and protected bio-diversity corridors.”

Ministry spokesman Neth Pheaktra said Cambodia had so far not experienced naturally-caused wildfires.

He said all provincial environment departments must instruct relevant authorities to apply the appropriate measures for combating wildfires, including informing the people to extinguish all fires before leaving the forest and reserving water to be used for putting out wildfires.

“In case of severe wildfire, local authorities must take immediate action by making emergency announcements and requesting provincial authorities to use available resources to effectively extinguish and prevent the fires from spreading,” Pheaktra said.

Ratanakkiri province’s Lumphat district governor Nou The told The Post on Sunday that his district had never experienced wildfires to date, adding that cases of fire in the district were limited to those on rice fields caused by negligence.

Nevertheless, he assured that local authorities were prepared for unforeseen incidents and had warned villagers to be careful weeks ago.

“There have been no incidents so far because we had already warned the people as we have done for many years. If any incident happens, we will be ready to extinguish the fire.

“We have fire trucks provided by the government. We also know where to obtain water [to put out the fire],” he assured.

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year