Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry to use ‘experts’ to review exam grading



Ministry to use ‘experts’ to review exam grading

Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron (centre), speaks to the press yesterday ahead of the nationwide Grade 12 exit exams next month.
Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron (centre), speaks to the press yesterday ahead of the nationwide Grade 12 exit exams next month. Facebook

Ministry to use ‘experts’ to review exam grading

Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron said yesterday that next month’s Grade 12 high school exams will largely follow the same process as the past few years, though a spokesman noted that new subject “experts” will be introduced to help spot grading errors.

“So far, the ministry has set out measures to strengthen both the examining and correcting processes,” Chuon Naron said at a press conference at his ministry ahead of the high-stakes exams on August 21 and 22.

Education Ministry spokesman Ros Salin said by telephone that “experts” in each subject area would be introduced to review the tests after they have been graded by a committee in charge of that area. The exam includes seven subjects such as math, biology and history.

“Another expert team will screen it again,” he said

The maximum score on the test will be 500, with a minimum of 237 required to pass – the same as last year – Salin said. Monitors from the Anti-Corruption Unit would continue to observe students taking the exam at least for five to 10 years, he added.

“It’s still premature to remove the monitors,” he said.

This will be the fourth year in a row that the Anti-Corruption Unit is involved in helping monitor the once-rampant cheating and bribery during the exam.

So far, 103,112 students have registered for the exam, representing an increase of about 9,000 compared to last year. The ministry plans to spend some $3.5 million on the test.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year