Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ministry warns of food poisoning over New Year

Ministry warns of food poisoning over New Year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
People are treated for alcohol poisoning at a hospital in Kratie last year. The Ministry of Health has called for 11 preventive measures Pto be taken during the Khmer New Year celebration this year. Supplied

Ministry warns of food poisoning over New Year

The Ministry of Health has called on the people to take 11 preventive measures to protect themselves from food or alcohol poisoning during the Khmer New Year celebration. Those who felt unwell should immediately seek medical treatment, it said.

On Friday, the ministry said hundreds of people had suffered food poisoning in provincial communities in the first three months of this year, with some losing their lives.

The minister, Mam Bun Heng, reminded people to be careful about food that might not be fit for consumption.

“I strongly advise people to be more careful about health problems that may occur during the Khmer New Year festival in conjunction with the current hot weather. Be especially careful regarding food preparation and improper storage, in order to avoid stomach aches, vomiting and diarrhoea."

“These can be caused by eating unhealthy food or by alcohol poisoning from drinks that are not produced in a safe way,” he said.

Bun Heng said in order to avoid food poisoning, people should protect themselves by following an 11-point plan.

Drink clean and safe water, he said, and secondly, make sure people wash their hands with soap before and during food preparation, before eating and after going to the toilet.

Thirdly, Bun Heng said, food should be covered to keep flies away. He also advised people to check sweet and sour food. His fifth warning was to wash fruit and vegetables with clean water.

He reminded people to clean cooking utensils properly and, further, to make sure food is not undercooked, especially meat, eggs and seafood.

Point number eight was to keep raw and cooked food separately, while the ninth was not to store food unrefrigerated for more than two hours.

Bun Heng advised, as the 10th preventive step, that food should not be kept for several days, even at cool temperatures. Lastly, he reminded people not to consume food beyond its expiry date.

Should anyone show symptoms of food or alcohol poisoning, such as headaches, coughing, vomiting, dizziness, fainting, convulsions or difficulty breathing, he said, they should seek medical treatment immediately at a nearby health centre or hospital.

The ministry said from 2018 until early March, there had been 30 cases of food or alcohol poisoning resulting in 1,304 people becoming sick and 27 dying.

The Post could not reach ministry spokesman Ly Sovann for comment on Sunday.

Kratie provincial health department director Chhneang Sovatha said the latest major case of food poisoning occurred in October, affecting 78 people and claiming five lives.

He told The Post on Sunday that his department met local authorities and alcohol producers in January to educate them about proper production and distribution practices, and also about food safety.

“First, we told them not to mix anything with alcoholic drinks to make them stronger and never to believe that they are master rice winemakers. We told them to produce it properly or they will be punished."

“Secondly, we explained that people should not drink alcohol from unknown sources because it can be dangerous, and we detailed what had happened in the past to make it clear,” Sovatha said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials