Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mixed munitions messages



Mixed munitions messages

Mixed munitions messages

Officials have denied that the government had scrapped plans to send a delegation to a meeting of nations that have ratified a convention banning cluster munitions, insisting that a Cambodian delegation would indeed attend.

The meeting, set to begin November 9, will bring together governments, United Nations officials, activists and cluster bomb victims to discuss the merits of the Convention on Cluster Munitions, which came into effect in August, but which Cambodia has yet to sign.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Koy Kuong said that a Cambodian delegation had been planning to attend the meeting all along.
“It will be someone from CMAC,” he said, referring to the Cambodian Mines Action Centre. When asked whether the government had originally declined to attend, he said, “No, what I heard is that Cambodia has committed to sending a delegation to the meeting.”
Chum Bunrong, Secretary General of the Cambodian Mines Action Authority, a separate group, said that CMAA delegates would also attend on behalf of Cambodia, in addition to officials from the Ministry of Defence and Cambodian Mine Action Centre.
“The reason we are late to inform the meeting organisers is because of our technical matter and our misunderstanding of the organisers,” he said, though he would not elaborate.
“According to the plan, our Cambodian delegates will be arriving in Vientiane a day before the meeting takes place. They will attend the entire meeting.”

Change of pace
Last week, Leng Sochea, the CMAA’s deputy secretary general, said Cambodia would not be sending a delegation to the meeting following orders from “high-level” authorities.
The Cluster Munitions Coalition, which is organising the meeting, also said on its website that Cambodia had indicated it would “not be able to participate”.
Conor Fortune, communications and media officer for CMC, confirmed that the Cambodian government has now registered its intention to attend.
“We’re very pleased that Cambodia will take part with some 100 other countries in this key meeting on the most significant humanitarian and disarmament treaty of the last decade,” Fortune said.
Cambodia was instrumental in the drafting of the Cluster Munitions Convention, but has so far declined to sign it.
Denise Coughlan, the director of Jesuit Refugee Services, who will be attending the meeting, said Cambodia should use the meeting as a way of showing its commitment to eradicating cluster bombs.
“After this meeting it will be hard for anyone to use cluster bombs,” she said. “The moral embargo on cluster bombs will be enormous, like it is with land mines.”
She welcomed the presence of a Cambodian delegation, but said she would “still love for Hun Sen or Hor Namhong” to attend the meeting and lend their weight to the issue.
Chum Bunrong said that there were millions of cluster bombs remaining in Cambodia, but would not comment on whether Cambodia would sign the convention.
“We think that the Convention on Cluster Munitions is important, but we will not sign it unless we have clearly considered and studied it,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants