Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - M’kiri indigenous rally blocked

M’kiri indigenous rally blocked

Indigenous villagers celebrate International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples yesterday morning in Mondulkiri’s Pech Chreada district before authorities stopped the event.
Indigenous villagers celebrate International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples yesterday morning in Mondulkiri’s Pech Chreada district before authorities stopped the event. Photo supplied

M’kiri indigenous rally blocked

Hundreds of indigenous peoples in Mondulkiri are planning to lodge a complaint with the National Assembly and relevant ministries to demand the ouster of the provincial governor after authorities yesterday pre-emptively shut down celebrations in honour of the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples.

Around 700 members of the Phnong ethnic group in Pou Chrei commune’s Puo Tang village, in Mondulkiri’s Pech Chreada district, slaughtered chickens, pigs and a buffalo in a ritual yesterday.

But when community members had attempted to set up a venue for celebrations on Saturday, police officers and military personnel stepped in, saying that they did not have permission to carry out their planned activities.

“The Pou Chrei police chief followed the provincial governor’s order, which didn’t allow us to set up the camp,” said community representative Kreung Tola.

“He said if we keep setting it up or [try to] march, they will order authorities to arrest me as the representative.”

Community members said that the ceremony as planned would have lasted around 10 hours and included a parade, an exhibition and traditional performances.

However, they were forced to commemorate the event outside for about three hours.

“We could not run the parade or exhibition because of the authorities’ interception and intimidation,” Tola said. “In the end, we celebrated under the rain and sun.”

According to Tola, the group had previously informed law enforcement about the events.

But authorities in the end demanded additional credentials, not accepting the previously issued paperwork.

“The community already followed procedure.

They sent information letters to all relevant departments,” said Yun Lorang, project coordinator for the Cambodian Indigenous Peoples Alliance, adding that last year’s celebrations in the province went ahead as planned.

Lorang said, however, that authorities had interfered in the day’s celebrations in two villages in Ratanakkiri, as well.

In response, members of the community have vowed to file a petition to force Mondulkiri Governor Eng Bunheang to step down.

“The people will file a lawsuit to the court against the governor and submit the petition to the National Assembly, ministries and the UN representative,” Tola said.

“If he does not step down, democracy in Mondulkiri will experience a drop.”

Sok Rath, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, considered the authorities’ actions to be intimidation and a violation of the community’s rights.

“Villagers were not violent; they did not speak about their land issues, but the authorities still banned them,” he said.

Governor Eng Bunheang could not reached for comment yesterday, while Deputy Provincial Governor Yim Luch and Pech Chreada District Governor Nuon Sarorn refused to comment.

However, King Seng, deputy director at the Mondulkiri rural development office, said that the government permits such celebrations, though formal documentation is needed rather than simply informing authorities.

Celebrations in other provinces such as Stung Treng, Koh Kong and Preah Vihear, meanwhile, were undisturbed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Still no word about EBA but rice likely unaffected

    Officials on Monday said the government had not received an official statement regarding the EU’s potential withdrawal of Cambodia’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. The EU launched the EBA withdrawal procedure on February 12, citing “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2