Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - MoI says Kem Ley murder probe slowed by ‘stubborn suspect’




MoI says Kem Ley murder probe slowed by ‘stubborn suspect’

Phnom Penh police stand next to Oeut Ang, the alleged murderer of political analyst Kem Ley, after he was arrested last month. Photo supplied
Phnom Penh police stand next to Oeut Ang, the alleged murderer of political analyst Kem Ley, after he was arrested last month. Photo supplied

MoI says Kem Ley murder probe slowed by ‘stubborn suspect’

The Ministry of Interior yesterday blamed the lack of progress in the investigation into the murder of political analyst Kem Ley on the reluctance of chief suspect “Choub Samlab”, suggesting former Khmer Rouge torture chief Kaing Guek Eav, aka Duch, might be able to loosen his tongue.

More than a month has passed since the high-profile killing, allegedly committed by Oeut Ang, who identified himself by the alias translating to “meet to kill”.

Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said no other suspects had been arrested.

“I hope the court will hold the trial very soon and it is a public trial,” Sopheak said. “Samdech [Sar Kheng] did not believe his name was really Choub Samlab. There is no parent who would name their child Choub Samlab.

“[He] did not confess and was stubborn, because, from what I understand, our law cannot do anything to him unless we do it in a peaceful way. What I understand is, if we call in Comrade Duch, he would make a confession.”

At least 12,000 people lost their lives at the S-21 prison under Duch’s command, with many subjected to torture to extract confessions.

Political analyst Ou Virak said the jibe was “not appropriate”.

“We have got to take the case seriously. This is a killing and the family deserves justice,” he said. “They need to build transparency that is lacking now. I think most people do not have confidence in the investigation.”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.