Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri forest community claim they received death threats from sawmill boss

Mondulkiri forest community claim they received death threats from sawmill boss

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
ethnic villagers were life threatened by loggers in Mondulkiri. supplied

Mondulkiri forest community claim they received death threats from sawmill boss

Three community activists from Bou Sra commune in Mondulkiri province’s Pech Chreada district have claimed that they received death threats from the owner of four sawmills after they took photographs of alleged illegal logging from the community forest.

The district authority has said it will take legal action if the three formally file lawsuits.

Pech Chreada commune representative Kroeung Tola told The Post on Sunday that the sawmills’ owner, Saroeun Mab, who is a former soldier, threatened him and two other people – Sreuk Seunh and Sraing Soeun – over the phone and in person, claiming he would hit them with a car, attack the men and fatally shoot them.

Chreada says Mab made the threats because two weeks ago, a group of community members inspected and took pictures of illegal activities at four sawmill locations in O’Chras village which are owned by Mab.

“[Mab] said that he knew my motorbike, my entry and exit routes and my appearance. He threatened me. He told the community members that his bullets did not have eyes. He said if he sees anyone taking pictures at the sawmills, he will attack that person,” Tola said.

He said that while they were patrolling the forest, the community members found chainsaws and felled timber in four different locations.

Some 10 Vietnamese workers were hired to keep watch, Tola said, and the community members observed that at each sawmill, at least three trucks – each with a capacity of four to six cubic metres of wood – transported timber to other areas.

Tola said he sent the photos to Mab and then went to meet him to find out why the sawmills were operating illegally.

“Mab said he had asked for permission from the commune and local authorities to process wood to build houses.

“But they only allowed him to operate in February and only process between six and seven cubic metres. The permission doesn’t allow him to operate during this period,” he said.

Tola claimed that the sawmills purchase timber from local people who log illegally.

He said he had already lodged a complaint to Pech Chreada district deputy police chief Men Many over the phone and if the district authority did not take action, he would file a complaint at the provincial court.

Many said he would lead a team to inspect the sawmill operation on Monday and if it was found to be operating illegally, he would report the matter to the Forestry Administration.

Regarding Mab’s alleged death threats, Many said the authorities would follow legal procedures if the community members submitted a formal complaint.

Mab could not be reached for comment.

Sraing Sroeun, another villager who claimed to have been threatened, said Mab was determined not to let them live in peace if the authorities arrested him regarding illegal activities at the sawmills.

“He said he is not afraid of anyone and no one dares to oppose him,” Sroeun said.

Eang Mengly, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said making death threats is a serious matter and the authorities should launch an immediate investigation.

“The authorities should defend citizens and maintain social order even though no proper documents or letters have been submitted because some people are illiterate. They should launch an investigation to verify whether or not the complaints are justified,” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does

  • Nine on Indonesia flight Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health on Saturday confirmed nine more imported cases of Covid-19. The nine ‒ eight Cambodians and one Indonesian, aged 22 to 26 ‒ arrived in Cambodia on Thursday via a direct flight from Indonesia and are receiving treatment at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hostipal in Phnom Penh.

  • Kingdom’s financial sector healthy

    Cambodia's financial sector remains on a sustainable growth path despite the Covid-19 pandemic squeezing crucial industries, National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) governor Chea Chanto said. Tourism, garments and footwear have borne the brunt of the Covid-19 impact, he said, whereas the financial and agriculture sectors

  • Vietnam told to remove border tents

    Kandal provincial governor Kong Sophoan has ordered local authorities to prohibit the construction of buildings in areas bordering Cambodia and to report any irregularities immediately. Recently, Vietnamese officials removed another seven tents from the border area with Cambodia. His remarks were made on Wednesday afternoon