Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri sanctuary land grabbers charged



Mondulkiri sanctuary land grabbers charged

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Mondulkiri province has been host to a litany of land disputes, the most recent involving 13 suspects detained in April. Environment Ministry

Mondulkiri sanctuary land grabbers charged

In April, 13 suspects were charged in the Mondulkiri Provincial Court for encroaching on forest land in wildlife sanctuaries at Phnom Prich, Srepok, Nam Lear, and Keo Seima, said Ministry of Environment secretary of state and spokesperson Neth Pheaktra.

The sanctuaries are protected under the Law on Natural Protected Areas. He said the 13 perpetrators violated articles 56, 60, and 62, which all concern destroying natural resources.

Pheaktra said the perpetrators used a variety of tricks to illegally occupy state forest land in the protected areas by claiming their group had lived on and reaped benefits from it for many years.

“No one has the right to occupy, buy or sell land in protected areas. The ministry requests that all citizens who are not well-versed in the law to stop being cheated by fraudsters.

“They should immediately stop illegal activities such as clearing, logging, burning, encroaching on forest land, building huts or factories, planting crops and relying on state land in the protected areas.

“Immediately stop all state land trading. Deconstruct all types of constructions which were built on your own and hand the land back with no conditions to the ministry, otherwise, you will face legal action,” he warned.

Kreung Tola, a forestry activist in Mondulkiri, said he supported the detention of the 13 perpetrators.

However, he said he has no faith in the authorities to protect the forests in the four sanctuaries because perpetrators and powerful people put up fences every day to steal land.

“So far, they have been facilitators of forest crimes. Those who have money give it to the officials, and the officials turn a blind eye to the crime. When citizens ask, they act like they don’t know anything.

“If it involves the poor, they crack down on them immediately and send the case to court. But when it comes to the rich, the authorities do not send their cases to court. Instead, they just have them sign a contract.

“On top of that, if a citizen reports a crime, the officials will sue the citizen, claiming that it is false or misleading information,” he said.

Adhoc community empowerment officer Pen Bunnar said on Sunday he supported the ministry’s action but urged law enforcement officials to be transparent and fair.

Bunnar wants powerful land grabbers to be prosecuted as well and advocated for an equal application of the law.

“Forest crime is an actual offence. Even after 15 years, we can still dig up cases and prosecute.

“In Mondulkiri province, many powerful and rich people are involved in forest land encroachment. Therefore authorities should examine these cases and take legal action, as they do with poorer people,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a