Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More than 100 SRP vote fraud witnesses in hiding




More than 100 SRP vote fraud witnesses in hiding

More than 100 SRP vote fraud witnesses in hiding

3-story-1.jpg
3-story-1.jpg

Opposition leader claims CPP-led government will threaten violence against election whistleblowers

HENG CHIVOAN

Sam Rainsy gestures at a pile of alleged evidence of voter fraud.

More than 100 people who supported the opposition's claims of election fraud stemming from last month's polls have been forced into hiding, opposition leader Sam Rainsy said Thursday.

He added that he feared the Cambodian People's Party would use violence against anyone making allegations of vote rigging against it.

"Witnesses are embarrassing for the CPP," he said, but vowed to push ahead with his campaign to discredit the results of the July 27 general election, which the opposition claims was riddled with irregularities.

"We have just started," Sam Rainsy said, a day after the Constitutional Council upheld the National Election Committee's dismissal of his party's final election complaint.

The SRP this week lodged its first legal complaints against CPP-aligned commune chiefs that it accuses of issuing fraudulent election forms to unregistered voters in a bid to stuff the ballot boxes for the ruling party.

One of the first submitted to the courts involved Suos Sarin, chief of Boeung Tumpun commune, who the SRP said gave one voter, Kong Kiet, documentation that allowed him to cast two ballots - once in his own name and the second time under the name Yov Pheth, a so-called "ghost voter".

"We have evidence that the same person was given [identity documents in] two different names and so voted twice with both votes going to the CPP," Sam Rainsy said.

"We have to prevent Kong Kiet from being killed, and so we have helped him go into hiding," he added.

Suos Sarin told the Post Thursday he had not heard that he was the subject of an SRP complaint.  

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped