Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More than 40 overloaded trucks seized by ministry

More than 40 overloaded trucks seized by ministry

A van overtakes an overloaded truck on a rural road in Banteay Meanchey in 2013.
A van overtakes an overloaded truck on a rural road in Banteay Meanchey in 2013. Hong Menea

More than 40 overloaded trucks seized by ministry

The Ministry of Public Works and Transport said yesterday that its officials had impounded 44 overloaded trucks along National Road No 217 since Friday.

Among the 44 trucks, 39 – which weighed between 4 and 34 tonnes – were fined. However just nine had so far agreed to pay, said Seng Chhoun, MPWT undersecretary of state and chief of the secretariat of the overload control committee.

In a press release, the MPWT said that, as of September 9, it would again be stopping trucks that exceeded the permitted weight or that had been modified to carry heavier loads.

Speaking at the Transport Technology Seminar yesterday, Minister Sun Chanthol said the move was prompted by the need “to protect road safety and roads, which always suffer damage from those trucks”.

The announcement was welcomed by Sem Phark, who lives along the road in Dangkor district.

“This road is frequently used by big trucks,” he said. “And some are very big, unlike normal ones [and] we’re scared of traffic jams and traffic accidents caused by those big trucks.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said